Mixing is one of the most important phases of music production. People who are unaware about this, the mixing process involves fusion of recorded audio tracks and infuse them to a stereo master. In the modern era of music mixing, editing and correction tools are very much familiar to everyone and it’s a super easy way to make your song more creative. At the time of performing the mix, it sometimes feels like you’re spinning the plates. For becoming an accomplished music producer, it is a long process. The path to become a skilled music composer is diverse but there are some common risks involved which one should try to avoid.
So, to make an effort to try something new or different, one should follow the basic principles to improve your mix. Hereby I have come up with the ideas that may make things difficult at first, but surely is the best ways to improve.
- Know about the song – You can get the clues in the lyrics. If you come to know about what song is about, it will give you a rough idea of the concept. It doesn’t mean that you have to follow the hardcore lyrics to the mix. May be you have nothing to do with the lyrics, but at least you will not face the problem of understanding the song concept, so when it comes to trying the creative mix directions, it will definitely give you a clue.
- Editing – Mixing is a combination of arrangement and synchronization. Before you begin with the editing process always make sure you edit each track/song. Listen to pops, humming and background music for each solo track. If you have recorded instrumentals or vocals, you can add them to the song where the sound has not been added in the track. Once all this has been done background music, headphones sound that will make your track more noticeable. To be on the safer side, edit and delete extra tracks that are not being used.
- Observe from different sources – It’s important that one should listen to the songs on studio monitors, but an average listener can’t afford the expensive monitors, so they can listen on headphones, laptop speakers, car system and any other source they can have. Most of the listeners will hear the track on their headphones, but make sure you listen at all the volume levels like Low and High. If you are a rapper then you should listen to the mix on a live system or club speakers.
- Reference from similar music – Reference can help you in many a ways in mixing. Pick any one, or 2 songs from a similar sort of. You can add a couple of tracks to the digital audio workstation and solo them to get a fair idea of how the comparison of dynamics, space and frequency work.
- Use of FX and EQ – To start with FX, place a high filter of pass on any track that is not crash, guitar, vocals or bass heavy. Cut the track into a solo, then you can hit with the desired ranges. EQ is a powerful and effective item in mixing. In EQ process, you have to start by cutting those frequency ranges that have no useful impact on the sound. In order to find those undesired frequencies, what you can do is, you can boost one band with a greater Q setting and put this band with the rest of the frequency spectrum. Don’t place FX with the master channel, keep it for the mastering engineer.
- Compression techniques – If you have just started with the compression, then go slow. You can start grouping the tracks with sub mixes. Create different groups, each for drums, vocals or FX etc., and then add a compressor to the group channel. You can also play with the ratio of the mixer until you get your desired sound. Typical problem an amateur faces is that they layer more sounds together, which leads an audio to clip. Avoid these activities while compressing to get the appropriate sound.
- Layer and Panning – To improve your track, you can start it with layering. You can add a noise in a track of by layering it with the mid frequency with a high frequency. With chorus layering vocals is always a good start.
Above mentioned tips can help you to create a good mix and you can attract more and more audiences. Go for a setup of live music or if you have planned to become a professional DJ then these tips are helpful in every extent.